The Heartache of Leaving Daphne

Tangled up in all of the stress of Girls Camp was the hardest challenge of all - leaving Burke and Daphne.  I had never left her for more than 3 hours before and it was killing me to think of all of the things that could go wrong while I was hours away on a mountain with no phone service.  Cassie graciously offered to take her on Wednesday and Thursday while Burke got work off Friday so he could take care of Little One the last two days.  Even though I knew Daphne would be in completely capable hands, I was thoroughly distraught to be leaving her.  

It is a scary thing to not have control over your baby's schedule/safety/well being, etc...  Many people rolled their eyes at me and my "first time mom paranoia" and that added to the frustration.  So what if I'm a little overprotective?  You were a first time mom once too, weren't you?  Sure I might get more relaxed with kid #2 or #3, but guess what?  I just have one right now!  I'm entitled to fret and worry over my precious baby!

Tender topic?  You betcha.  

I bawled the night before when I realized camp was finally upon us and again in the morning when I had to say goodbye.  Then Burke passed us on the freeway headed to St. George to drop her off with the Ridings and I could just see the top of her big head in her car seat as they cruised past.  I had to joke about it with the girls to keep from crying all over again.  Right before I lost cell phone service I got a few picture texts from Cassie showing Daphne already at play with her cousins that brought a lot of peace to my heart. 


The text had a similar picture to this and said "just taking the babies for a walk!"

It was awful to be apart and only the crazy load as Camp Director kept me from dwelling on how much I missed my little family.  I said a lot of prayers for them and for me to be strong and thankfully we were all reunited safely at the end of the week.

When I got home, I discovered in my email a slideshow my wonderful sister had created of an almost hour by hour picture documentation of everything Daphne did with the Ridings.  I cried all over again seeing how much fun she had and the great care they took with my precious angel babe.  Here are some of my favorite pictures from the slideshow - I feel blessed to have such a wonderful support system, but hope I don't have to ever leave my family for that long again!


This picture cracks me up!  The babies swinging in the diaper swing - too cute!


I think the could be little twins here.

Smiles and Swings

Cassie said when Daphne woke up in the morning, the kids were all so excited to see her.  Millie jumped right in the pack'n'play with her and another day was off to great start! 

 

 


Daphne's first ponytail!  I have never even tried to put it up!  So darling.

What Cassie would look like with twins. :) 

Cassie said that the night after Daphne left, Emmett prayed that Daphne would come live with them forever.  Awww...melt my heart.  Thank you Riding family for taking such good care of cousin Daphne!  We owe you big time!

Comments