Mesquite 6th Ward Girls Camp

When I was called to be the Girls Camp Director near the end of March, I had no idea the tremendous load that was in store for me.  As a girl, I never considered how much work goes into planning and executing a successful camp, nor how much stress my leaders were under, the numberless prayers they had offered and how very much they truly loved each one of us girls under their care.  Even two years ago when I went to camp as a leader the week after we came home from Paris, I didn't understand what went into camp as I had been gone for the bulk of the preparation.


After I was called as director, I learned that all the other directors in the stake had already been doing it for several years or had been called in January.  No big, I thought, I can still plan it in 3 months.  At the end of April, just as I felt like I was really in the saddle and had worked out assignments with my Young Women Presidency, they all got released and a new YW presidency was called, with myself as the 2nd counselor.  No big, I thought, I'll just have the old presidency give all the things they had worked on to the new presidency.  Turns out, most of them had a hunch they were being released and hadn't started on their assignments.  Okay, I thought, we'll just call a camp cook and that will take most of the stress off of my shoulders.  A week went by.  Then two.  No cook called.  Oh boy, I was starting to panic.  In the end, 3 ladies turned down the call to be our camp cook, one of our leaders decided she couldn't make it to camp and suddenly we were 10 days out with more to do than I thought could possibly ever be done!  

Our flags - the theme for camp this year was The Book of Mormon and each ward was a different book.  We were 4th Nephi and the scripture we based our individual camp off of was all about how we are "Heirs to the Kingdom of God".

However, as things always do, it worked out.  Although I felt I had reached my burn out point before we even left for camp, the Lord miraculously strengthened me when I thought I was at my breaking point.  He blessed me with incredible support through Jen and Shannon as well as Bishop Wursten and Brother Cox.  Sometimes I get amazed all over again with how perfectly organized and inspired the church is.  There is a reason we are called into the positions we are with the people we work with.  Jen and Shannon have strengths in areas I am totally lacking and I felt that some of my strengths were able to shine through as well.  I will forever be grateful for these ladies and all they did to make this camp a success.


The best part about going to camp was getting to know the girls better.  I confess, I wondered what the Bishop was thinking when he released the old presidency with less than 6 weeks to go, but I can see clearly now why he did it.  Camp gave us the opportunity to build relationships with the girls and learn about their personalities first hand.  In some ways this was incredibly hard.  I felt like I was a mother hen the whole week ("Are you drinking enough water?  Do you need an Advil?  Time for bed!"), trying to assess their needs and including everyone.  Our girls were awesome about helping out around camp and being kind to each other, but each one had this or that issue that I constantly worried about.  It was such a hard balancing act to try and make sure they were each getting what they needed and even though sometimes I goofed, I know they felt of our love for them and gained a closeness with us that wasn't there before.  


Some of the highlights from camp included:

Target shooting with slingshots and paintballs


Side note: aren't our hates cute?  We made embellishments for them at a pre-camp activity.  I loved that they hid 3 day camp hair so well! 



Devotionals (here's one of the handouts I made)


Horseback riding



Cafe Rio Salads and Big Booty with our Sister Ward


And ESPECIALLY watching Bro. Cox play (or rather attempt to play) with the girls!


Chocolate Chats at night including delicious brownies by Jen and fondue


Secret Sisters (our mailbox)


Greek Yogurt and Oatmeal Facials


I'm dying looking at these pictures and realizing Estelle's face is the same in all of them!  She wouldn't smile for me ALL week!  Silly girl! 




Downtime to play games, talk, swing on the tire swing or NAP (my favorite).


There was one night where the stake woke us up at 3:30 AM and had the Priesthood men lead us to the meadow where we stared at the stars and listened to the account from the Book of Mormon where Jesus Christ appeared to the people of the Americas.  There were no bells and whistles, just the straight scriptural account in the peace of the night, which eventually gave way to a predawn of twittering birds and lightening horizons.  I was touched as I felt the same stirring of the spirit in my heart that I have felt many times of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon.  I know it is true.  And I know you can have that same witness too.  All you have to do is read the Book of Mormon with a real desire to know and understand for yourself.  God will touch your heart and the Holy Ghost will confirm that it is true, that Jesus Christ is real and that our lives have purpose and meaning because of those truths.

I'm realizing I could go on and on about camp, but the important thing is that the girls had a good time and felt the spirit, we grew closer together as a ward, we were all safe and I survived being apart from my little family.  On the ride home from camp we were belting Taylor Swift with our car and I was so pleased to hear the girls say this had been their favorite year of camp!  Hallelujah!  Something we did worked!  I love them and I am so glad that our time is just beginning together.  

Comments

Jen said…
I love them all! Can't wait to see Shannon's too. Thanks for taking these. Glad you have some leverage on Bro. Cox. ;)
Jem said…
I thought of you girls all week. I also was a little jealous. I wish I could have been there. I want to thank you ladies for being such great examples to these impressionable young women. I cant think of 3 better women that could have been up there with my daughter.
The Burr's said…
It looks like you did an amazing job! Especially with everything you had to deal with. Doesn't surprise me, your such a strong woman:)