Nothing I Love More

I used to be afraid of the dark when I was single.  I would wake up facing the wall and be paralyzed with fear that someone was standing behind me.  Completely irrational scenarios would play through my mind for long drawn out minutes before I could work up the courage to roll over and assess my empty room.  I would sleep curled up in a ball in the fettle position and never let a limb dangle over the edge of the bed for fear of it being snatched up by some lurking creature below.  I was in my twenties, still scared to death of the things going bump in the night - most often the "spooky" refrigerator or pipes.


And then I married my best friend.  Among the other perks of marriage like having someone to make you laugh daily or clean the toilets for you, I have found that sound sleeping is one of the best bonus blessings of becoming a Mrs.


Burke makes me feel protected and safe which brings the kind of night time peace that has evaded me since I was a little girl.  If I wake up to the air conditioning kicking on, I no longer sweat for an hour, wondering where the bad guy is in my house and how I will get to Daphne in time to save her if he comes barreling down the hall (just one of many nightmarish scenarios I have played out!).  Nope, now I just roll back over, snuggle tightly under my honey's strong arms and drift back into sleepy town.


And there's nothing - absolutely nothing I love more than waking up in the middle of the night still holding hands.  I guess we love each other even in the dream-state of our unconscious minds and that's the kind of thing that makes a gal feel peaceful and secure - day or night.

Comments