52 Dates - #39 - Bread'n'stuffers

I just realized I have let my goal of documenting my dates with Burke this year really fall to the wayside the last few weeks.  However, we really haven't done any fancy dates in the last month.  It seems there has been something going on every weekend.  We really need to be better about setting aside a night together if we know the weekend is going to be too busy for a date together.

On Saturday Burke, Daphne and I hit up "Bread'n'stuffers" after Shannon took our family pictures.  It was a hilarious experience.  This little hole-in-the-wall restaurant is in the middle of a bunch of medical offices, completely hidden unless if you know it's there, but we've been eyeing it ever since Dave Bradly tipped Burke off to it, so we thought we'd give it a try for date night.  An older man in a white, stain-splattered chefs jacket and a grimmy baseball cap was standing by the door with his hands clasped behind his back as we hurried in out of the chilly evening air.  "We've been waiting for you!" he welcomed us merrily.  The place was completely empty besides the owner-chef and a woman with a long gray braid down her back that we assumed was his wife.  They were very attentive and very kind, talking up their menu and making suggestions, but I was a bit unnerved as they stood about 10 feet away, behind the counter, watching every little move we made the ENTIRE time we waited and later as we ate.  Sway-inducing 50's music played loudly and Daphne vacillated between trying to pull everything off the table and dancing in her chair.  Sometimes I use my baby as an excuse to avoid awkward situations and this was a prime example - playing with Daph the whole meal to keep myself from staring back at the pair of them and asking for some privacy!

It was a mediocre meal in a weird little shop, but I suppose what makes it memorable was how happy it made Burke.  He thought the whole experience was hilarious and said at one point in our meal, "You know Em, these are my favorite kind of date nights!"  He's easy to please. :)

Comments