The Gratitude Project - Day 15


Last night was a special evening for me.  Our youth did Baptisms for the Dead (click for more information of baptisms or check out another link HERE) at the St. George Temple for our Wednesday night activity.  I was so grateful for the girls and boys who willingly took a night away from their studies and busy schedules to make the trip and do work for those who can no longer do it for themselves.  What a priceless service!  


We had a great experience and a lot of fun eating at Pizza Factory afterwards, but the night was made especially memorable for me as I performed work for my very first set of family names researched and prepared all by myself!  I know I talk about it a lot, but I have developed such a burning passion in the past year for family history work.  Just as Elder Scott said in general conference last month, there is such a joyous feeling in doing work for our own ancestors.  It makes them seem so much more real when you know they were your own ancestors who really walked and talked and breathed upon the earth.  As I sat being confirmed for 2 sisters, Della and Flossie, I imagined them sitting on either side of me, holding my hands with one hand and wrapping their other arm around my back in an embrace of gratitude, joy and excitement.  It was a touching image as I wondered where their spirits are now, if they have accepted the gospel of Jesus Christ and if they were anxiously waiting for their work to be done by me that evening.  It was also very sobering as I realized how important this work is and how essential it is for me to continue to research and find names in my family line that are in need of temple ordinance work.  

Have YOU checked out Family Search yet?  You don't have to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to use it.  It is free to the public and has millions of ancestral records you can access as you search for your families.  Check it out!  


And just because it is so good, here is Elder Scott's talk.  I think the part that struck me with the most force was when he said, "Do you young people want a sure way to eliminate the influence of the adversary in your life? Immerse yourself in searching for your ancestors, prepare their names for the sacred vicarious ordinances available in the temple, and then go to the temple to stand as proxy for them to receive the ordinances of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost. As you grow older, you will be able to participate in receiving the other ordinances as well. I can think of no greater protection from the influence of the adversary in your life."

Wow.  No greater protection for youth than family history work?!  Looks like this is a subject worthy of all of our time.

Comments