The Gratitude Project - Day 18 & 19



This month I've been trying to document the little things I have been grateful for in my day, but as this is Thanksgiving week, I would like to focus on the things that I am the most grateful for that have made my life happy and blessed.  And as I have two days to catch up on today, I think it would be appropriate to start off with acknowledging my two fantastic families - Bush and Adams.

1991 or maybe 1992 - rocking the plaid skirts, scrunchies and color block shirts!  Don't my parents look so young?  Can you tell there was a fight on the way over to take pictures?  Everyone is ticked!  Ha!

Oh the Bush Bunch!  What a privilege it was to grow up in a large family (#7 of 8 kids) that sang, worshiped, laughed, played and worked together.  As I've gotten older, I've realized that my family is weird and dysfunctional in their own ways, but overall, we are a pretty united and loving family.  Even when there is tension, there is still nowhere I would rather be than at home with them during Christmas, weddings, reunions, etc.

The Bush Bunch - June 2011.  Only Burke, Daphne and I are missing as I had just given birth 5 days prior to this reunion. Oh! and Alyia wasn't born yet.  There are a whooping 33 of us now!

Each of my siblings are such amazing individuals with unique gifts and passions that make them so interesting and accomplished.  They are my best friends.  They have each chosen a spouse who not only compliments them, but who I genuinely love and admire as well - no pressure Tasha!  My family can be crazy funny, intensely spiritual and tenderly loving.  We are all criers (even Gabe, though he controls it better than most of us), we are all opinionated and we are all analytical (thanks Dad).  In general, we tend to be loud, friendly, driven, goal-oriented and optimistic.  We love music, travel, nature, and God.  We are as different as we are alike, but our love for each other keeps us glued together tightly.

June 2011 - 2 weeks after having Daphne.  Since then we've added baby Luke, baby Grey and baby Aubrey making 27 now!

On the Adams Family!  What a privilege it was to marry into a large family (Burke is #3 of 7) that worshiped, laughed, played and worked together.  The first time I met Burke's family, Christmas week almost 5 years ago, I was amazed at how comfortable I felt.  It was like an extension of home.  They were different than my family, but the same.  I loved them for those similarities and differences.  They accepted me from the moment I crossed their threshold and made me feel like one of their own.

Of course there are ways we have had to adapt to one another and behaviors we have had to modify.  But, as with my biological family, my dear in-laws love each other fiercely, working hard to keep our relationships close.

Each of these people have had a part to play in making me who I am today and I feel deep-down-to-my-toes grateful to have two magnificent families to call my own.

Comments