Family Photo Shoot: Behind the Scenes


On Friday night Burke, Daphne and I drove to Hurricane to meet up with my cousin Susie Stout (https://www.facebook.com/susiestoutphotography?fref=ts).  She took pictures of Daphne when she was just a week old (HERE) and I wanted to utilize her talent once again.  Prepare for a picture overload of a few of my favorites, interspersed with some humorous behind the scene facts.


The first thing you should know is that Burke LOATHES to get pictures taken.  When I first suggested that we schedule a time with Susie to take pictures the conversation went a little like this:

Burke: But we just took pictures!
Me: Um, that was in November and we had Shannon take pictures for ten minutes so we could slap one on a Christmas card.
Burke: No, we just barely had family photos taken in Logan, remember?  
Me: Honey, that was in November of 2011 - a year and a half ago! (seen HERE, HERE and HERE)
Burke: Exactly. We just barely took them.




Clearly we had different views on how often family photos need to be taken, so I tried to calmly ascertain what each of our priorities were.

Me: Burke, how often would you prefer to have family photos taken?
Burke: I don't know, maybe once every five years.
Me (throwing my hands up in the air and giving an incredulous laugh): "FIVE years?! Sweetheart, think about how much Daphne has changed in just 6 months, let alone the fact that we could have 3 kids in a 5 year period!
Burke (shrugging): So?
Me (completely exasperated by this point): Soooooo, we're getting family pictures.  I am not a high maintenance woman Burkie.  I don't dye my hair, get my nails done, wax my eyebrows, or go on crazy shopping sprees, but I will demand family pictures at least once a year! 



He didn't complain (*much*) after that, so I scheduled the pictures, planned our outfits, and gathered some props.  The night arrived and I was so excited!  I had a vision in my head of exactly how this evening was going to go and no doubts that everything would go according to plan.


Here Daphne is giving Eskimo Kisses to Daddy



But once we arrived in Hurricane, things started going awry.  First, poor Susie was flustered because her babysitters fell through and she had to bring all 3 kids to the shoot.  No biggie, I thought.


Then when we got to the orchard and started setting up, Burke pointed out that the banner I borrowed from Shannon was not going to work with the wind factor (notice it in the next couple of pictures flapping upward?) nor would the cool pastel pinwheels.  I don't know why I hadn't thought about that earlier, but I'm pleased you can at least partially see it in the background.


Isn't this vintage pram prop the coolest?  I was so glad Susie brought it.




Susie had suggested we capture the evening light in the orchard which was right before Daphne's bed time and she was a bit on edge.  When we started trying to take pictures of just her, she was a train wreck, screaming and arching her back and refusing to sit still!  Awesome.  Thankfully, Susie's kids came to the rescue, dancing behind her and hanging from the tree like little monkey babies so we were able to catch a couple of these gems.






Five minutes in, Burke and Daphne were in the grumpy club together and I was desperately trying to maintain enthusiasm as all my hopeful expectations for the perfect family pictures began to crumble.


You can tell in this picture he's sooooo over it while I'm trying to cheerlead ("Come on honey! Just a few more, please!!!")




But, my biggest mistake was when I tried to get us all in a tree.  I'm giggling to myself just thinking of this moment.  Observe below.  Daph and I on a branch, trying to look natural, coaxing Burke to come up with us.  Sharp edges in our butts, twigs poking our heads and backs.  I can't scoot over any more because there is a thicket of branches blocking the limb.  So I'm trying to get Burke to sidle on over and put his arm around me.  I'm all, "Can't you just straddle the limb honey, like a horse?"  And he's getting really ticked off now, "NO! I physically cannot straddle this branch Emily!"  This awkward gem was the only picture we snapped up there before he jumped down REALLY over it now.  Ha ha ha!  Look how ticked he is!



So, probably needless to say, I was really worried about this photo shoot by the time we got home.  However, sweet Susie sent me that photo collage (the one I posted a few days ago) and I started to get excited again.  We spent the night at the Ridings that night so we could watch their kiddos in the morning and Susie was a rockstar and edited all of these that very night so she could give them to us on a disk before we left town.  How thrilled I was when I went through and found so many beautiful images to choose from, despite a less than ideal night! :)

Here are a few more of my favs.










Daphne in the rocking chair Burke made her for Christmas


LOVE this one!







By far our best family shot in the bunch.

Comments

Whitney said…
LOVE the photos, Em.I love the one with you three reading the book, and Daphne has her hand on her cheek. Adorable!

And,super hilarious about Burke, because Dan hates having family pictures as well. I had to beg and plead to get our five year anniversary pictures taken last fall...four months after the actual anniversary, I might add.

Not to generalize, but it seems like many men don't understand the appeal and purpose of annual family photos. Good thing they have us to get them done! :)
Marinda said…
You are all darling and beautiful!
The Burr's said…
So so cute! How fun to have such cute pictures for your memories:)
So SO adroable! My husband is exactly the same although I think his preference of family pics would be.. well never. Our last ones were when Jaston was a baby.. he's three.
Unknown said…
emily! wow these pictures are amazing and you have such a beautiful family. I am so happy for you. I haven't looked at blogs in months, so it w was so fun to find this post. Hope you're doing well! :)