And Just Like That...

*The following is a long post mostly for documenting history - the most important part is the second sentence!*

This week my happy little world was unexpectedly shaken up resulting in some big changes for our family.  We are moving to Mesquite, Nevada!  Before you fall off your chair laughing (because I know I swore to some of you that I would NEVER live in that barren wasteland), I want you to know I am trying to be very positive about this because the way things have fallen into place in the past week there is no doubt in my mind that this is what we are supposed to do right now.

It all started a couple of weeks ago when SunFirst Bank contacted Burke and wanted him to come work for them on Fridays to help while Kristen was on maternity leave.  We were excited thinking that Burke could still work 4 ten hour days to get full time at Kokopelli in Mesquite (where he has been so happy the past 6 months) while picking up an extra 8 hours at the bank.  We figured we could dump this extra income straight towards our student loans and calculated that we could meet our goal of being out of debt by 2012.

Well, just as everything seemed to be working out, SunFirst called again and said there had been a change up with some of their employees and they wanted Burke to come back full time at a significant raise plus insurance!  As we looked at all the benefits (the bank is 2 blocks from our house, we wouldn't have to get a second car, we would save money on gas, holidays off, etc...) we wondered how we could possibly refuse such an offer when our entire country is suffering economically and this would help our family out so much financially.  However, Burke has loved working down in Mesquite.  The Hughes boys have been so good to him, he enjoys the guys he works with and he had been excited by the possibility of taking over more of the office managing and putting his degree to use.  With a heavy heart, we agreed that although he would prefer to work for Kokopelli, SunFirst just made so much more sense.  That night when he called Shane to tell him about the bank's offer, we thought for sure they would just wish us luck.  You can imagine our surprise when Shane asked Burke several detailed questions and then asked us how late we would be up that night, so he could talk to the other guys and get back to us.  In the end Kokopelli made us a sweet offer and we fell to our knees with prayers of gratitude for this enormous blessing of being able to not only have a financial increase, but with the company that Burke prefers to work at too!

Well, I was feeling pretty happy with the new development until Burke came home on Friday with more news.  His cousin Lance (who lives in Mesquite) will be moving to North Dakota for potentially the next 3 years to work and offered to let us rent their home and eliminate the commute.  Next thing I knew we were down in Mesquite on Saturday checking out their beautiful four bedroom home with a gorgeous kitchen and living room all open and sunny.  As Burke drove me to the new office and around town after looking at the house, I stubbornly insisted, "I don't care how pretty the house is Burke - I am NOT moving to Mesquite!"  When we got back to St. George I left Daphne with her Papa and went to the temple, searching for peace of mind.  I was way too emotional about the whole thing and couldn't discern the promptings of the spirit through all my biases.  I prayed that if this was the right move for us that I would be able to feel at peace.  I couldn't believe how instantly my worries and defiant feelings were washed away.  I felt an incredible calm throughout my entire time at the temple.  When I walked back into our apartment I looked at Burke and said, "I guess we're moving to Mesquite.  I don't want to go, but I know we're supposed to!"  *sob*sob*sob*

We will give our landlords a month notice, so it looks like we'll be moving in at the end of September.  I am so sad to be leaving our amazing ward, our wonderful siblings and the fantastic friends.  It's strange to think back over two years ago when we moved into our cute little apartment as newlyweds.  I certainly wasn't thrilled to be in St. George, but now here I am so sad to be leaving it.  When I called Cassie and told her the news we both cried and apparently Lydia couldn't get to sleep that night, talking about how she simply would not let Auntie Em leave St. George.  It is nice to know we will be missed and also a relief to know we will only be a thirty minute drive away.

And just like that...we're off on another adventure!  There is much to be excited about and plenty of growth ahead of us.  I am certain that everything has fallen into place for a reason and there are lessons to be learned in Mesquite.  Oh boy - lots to do in the next few weeks!

Comments

Katie said…
Congratulations on the job! That is awesome. :)
Kelly said…
Oh Burke is the best, who wouldn't fight to keep him at their company?! Just think that in however many years when it comes time to leave Mesquite you'll be saying the same thing, "I'm so sad to leave our ward and all our great friends..." Well, I'm happy for you guys and jealous too, I LOVE change. I think it will be so fun. All the best of luck!
Liv Blair said…
Em! My uncle lives in Mesquite and loves it! I'm sure it will be a huge change but I think you will end up loving it! :)
emilydaines said…
Hi girly! What an adventure! I am fairly sure that you'll pay no income tax in Mesquite--if for that reason alone, hopefully the move will be for the best. Would love to catch up with you sometime soon. Daphne is adorable. <3!
Anonymous said…
Good luck!!! I'm so proud of you guys! thanks for always being such a wonderful inspiration :) love you guys!! Kisses for Daph :)