Art Around The Corner

One thing I will really miss about St. George is my daily walks with Daphne.  Not that I won't be able to walk in Mesquite, but living in downtown St. George there are a lot of cool things close to our apartment.  If I walk east and south I am on the temple grounds within seven minutes.  If I walk due east, I will run into Dixie College Campus within fifteen minutes.  If I walk west half a block and then north, I will run into the beautiful historical district of the St. George with the splash park, library, tabernacle, carousel and the old Dixie College. 


The city has done a wonderful job with all of the beautiful flower beds, pretty walkways and water features throughout.


One particularly charming aspect of downtown is a program the city has called "Art Around the Corner" where local artists have allowed their work to be put on display up and down Main Street and around the square.  They add such a nice aura to these areas and it's great publicity for the artists as majority of these pieces are for sale.


It's always fun to see Uncle Matt's pieces on display as well.  He is so talented!  Here are a few of his latest pieces made all out of scrap metal from farm equipment, old cars, etc...




My personal favorite is this sculpture entitled "The World Is Mine."  I would love to have that in my future classroom, especially since the children are immersed in reading good literature!  If you're in the St. George area, take a little stroll and enjoy these pieces of art yourself - I'm certain you'll enjoy it!

Comments

Marinda said…
Downtown St. George is for sure one of the cutest cities around. Perhaps you can start a hobby of identifying sagebrush on your future walks with Daphne. :) How is the packing coming?