Cousins

Growing up I was always a little jealous when I heard people talking about their close ties with their cousins.  Sadly, I never had many opportunities to develop those relationships.  We took one, maybe two trips a year to Idaho/Oregon to see our cousins on the Ellsworth side.  The first day would be spent getting reacquainted and by the time you were on the way to becoming the best of friends it was time to leave again.  On the Bush side we got together once every three years for what was always an awesome reunion somewhere fun like New York, North Carolina, Washington D.C. and Colorado.  However, so much time passed in between each reunion that I barely got to know my cousins on that side of the family either.  


In the two years since Burke and I have been married, I've probably gotten to know his numerous cousins better than my own!  Seeing the effort his extended family makes to keep those relationships strong has really inspired me to do all I can to help my own children be close their cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents.  Daphne actually has 5 other little girl cousins that were born within the last year (Hallie, Jade, Amira, Mia, and Millie) and I can't wait for her to build friendships with the other little ladies her age.  Cassie and I have already had so much fun getting Millie and Daphne together and it looks like these two are bound to be bosom buddies!

Comments