Internet Fasting Works Wonders!

On Saturday we had an internet fast.  I didn't think we had a problem, but on Friday night as we drifted off to sleep I felt prompted to challenge Burke and I to go the entire day without touching the computer.  I am SO grateful we did this as we had one of our best days to date as a little family!

This perfect day started early when Daphne woke up at 5:30 AM.  After I fed her she went right back to sleep and I looked at the clock realizing if I hurried I may be able to make it to the 6 AM session at the temple.  I rushed into our room to throw on a dress, brush my hair and teeth, kiss my sleeping hubby on the head and drive the 1.5 mins to the temple (I love that we live this close!), barely making the session.  I hadn't been back to the temple since Daphne was born and it was such a good feeling to be there again.

When I got home I made a big breakfast for Burke and as we ate we made a giant list of things we wanted to do that day.  Our list included:

1) Read scriptures
2) Put together our new BBQ (a guy in Mesquite gave Burke his old one!)
3) Go on a family walk to the Farmers Market on Main Street
4) Install a drip system for our garden
5) Go grocery shopping for the family campout next weekend
6) Dust, vaccum and mop the house
7) Clean bathrooms - Burke in charge of toilets!
8) Clean the car and get a safety inspection
9) Mail out Daphne's birth announcements
10) Change fish bowl water
11) Prepare lessons for church
12) Read "Savvy" together (we're almost done!)

We did all except #4 and #8, but also added a family nap, a delicious dinner, buying a sweet fondue set for cheap at the Farmers Market, and rewarding ourselves with a movie at the end of the day!  It was such a good feeling to snuggle with my sweetheart and check off so many things on our list.  It especially made me feel good when we read Elder Uchtdorf's conference talk for FHE tonight and came across this passage,

"When necessary the Lord will even carry you over obstacles as you seek His peace with a broken heart and a contrite spirit.  Often He speaks to us in ways that we can hear only with our heart.  To better hear His voice, it would be wise to turn down the volume control of the worldly noise in our lives.  If we ignore or block out the promptings of the Spirit for whatever reason, they become less noticeable until we cannot hear them at all.  Let us learn to hearken to the promptings of the Spirit and then be eager to heed them."


I had not realized how much time we were spending on the computer each day and felt so grateful that I had listened to the prompting to "turn down the volume."  Now we plan to make this "internet fast" a weekly ritual on Saturdays so we can enjoy our day as a family to the fullest!

Comments