Oh No!

A couple of weeks ago Burke and I were watching a movie after putting Daphne to sleep.  Suddenly, over the volume of the TV we heard a slurping and sucking sound coming from the nursery.  We gave each other a confused look and went into the nursery to discover this...


Nooooo!  A thumb sucker?!  I was concerned at first, but there's really nothing I can do about it.  Each night we can hear her in the nursery slurping away as she soothes herself to sleep.  When I told my mom about my concerns at the campout this weekend she sheepishly admitted that she secretly sucked her thumb at night until she was 12 years old!  The only thing that stopped her was when she went to middle school and a boy who sucked his thumb in public was teased mercilessly by their peers.  She was horrified to think what might happen if people found out that she too was a thumb-sucker and immediately began shoving her hand under her pillow at night to keep it from creeping into her mouth.  Cassie says that Lydia sucked her thumb for a few months too and eventually grew out of it.  I sure hope Daphne does too!

Comments

Liv Blair said…
I sucked my thumb and I turned out ok :)
Whitney said…
I never sucked my thumb, but I have two family members that did, and aside from the deranged look in their eyes whenever they see their thumbs, they're just fine!

:)

Look at this way--at least she's found a way to soothe herself!