Steinbeck Follow-Up

I lay awake for probably an hour last night over analyzing.  I had just received an email from my big brother who I love and admire tremendously.  He was so sweet to even respond to my last post as I know he usually just skims, looks at pictures and presses 'archive'.

He told me to keep reading.

He said he had to respectfully disagree, that the book was well worth the stark contrasts of good and evil.

He said not only was it my father's favorite book, but his as well.

I so appreciated his input and felt an apology was necessary on here.  I read back through my post (and some others as well) and was embarrassed to realize that I often come across as preachy or self-righteous.  And I never want to be that person!  I know I have strong opinions and feelings that I like to share (if you haven't figured out already I'm a "sharer"), but I love to hear other's thoughts as well.  I love to be balanced out by a perspective that maybe I hadn't considered.  I hope if I ever write anything that my readers don't agree with that you will leave some feedback.  I've come to realize that although this blog is primarily a journal for me, I also have come to value the responses, especially when people give advice to problems or are so kind to say that something I wrote touched them in a way I would have never guessed.  It's a good feeling to know someone else "gets" what you're thinking.

So I'm sorry if I dissuaded any of you for reading what is clearly a powerful book.  As my Dad and brother are two of the most deep-thinking and wise people I know, it's obvious they wouldn't love a book that doesn't have a significant or worthwhile message in the end.

That being said, I'm still not sure if I will pick it up again.

You're probably still thinking, Oh brother! It's just a book! Get on with it already!

I will, I will.  But first, I really need to call me Dad.

Comments