Josie & Rick's Wedding

(Ok, so not a very cute picture of either of us, but this is right after Jo came out of the temple and I love how it shows our height difference so dramatically!)

On Saturday, March 10th, one of my dearest friends, Josie Olsen, was married in the Logan temple!  I've talked about Josie on here before and it was so wonderful to be able to travel to Logan and support her on her big day.


(Slightly awkward shot of all the gal pals - some are mission companions/interior design friends I don't know or I would label)

I remember meeting Josie's husband Rick back in 2008 in our student ward.  He was a hot item in the ward and I remember thinking he had a terrific sense of humor as he taught Sunday school.  Imagine my surprise when over a year later, after I was married and living in St. George, Josie called to tell me she was dating someone really special and it turned out to be Mr. Rick himself!  Over the next several months Burke and I were able to go to dinner with them on a few occasions and it was so obvious that they were a perfect pair; both personable, hard working, committed to the gospel and hilarious.  I remember Burke and I talking on the way home after that first dinner, wondering when (not IF, but WHEN) the wedding would happen.


(A few of the girls: Wendi, Whitney, Abby, me, and Rachel)

However, Josie stuck to her original plan to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and Rick waited patiently for 18 months for her to come back to him.  With each of our interactions, I had been impressed with him and that regard just kept growing as he would thoughtfully drop a line on facebook congratulating us on our pregnancy or just asking how we were doing.  Clearly, this guy was a keeper if he made an effort to keep in touch with his girlfriend's friends even while she was away for a year and a half.  After just two weeks home from her mission, Rick proposed and we have had March 10th circled on the calendar since November.

(J.E.W. together again, or in this case E.J.W.)

It was such a privilege to sit in the Logan temple at long last on Saturday morning and witness the union of these two stellar individuals.  There was a wonderful spirit and it is evident their marriage will be filled with love and harmony.  Josie's Grandpa Kidd performed the sealing and as I looked around the room, I realized what an impact the Olsen family has had on so many lives and what truly incredible people they are.  I feel so blessed to have interacted with them on several levels throughout the years.


(My little family)

The luncheon was equally lovely and their wedding video was by far the best I have ever seen (great job Olsen brothers!).  However, I managed to completely humiliate myself during the open-mic toasts.  I felt like someone from our table should say a few words about what a terrific friend Josie has been over the years, but when I got up with Rachel, things quickly turned a different direction and in an uncomfortable panic, I ended up not saying a single thing the way I wanted to and now every time I think of that moment my cheeks turn pink with embarrassment!  Oh well, it was so nice to be there regardless and to get to spend some time catching up with my wonderful girls and to squeeze my Burkie's hand, remembering our own special wedding day.


The reception was equally beautiful with a live quartet and dancing with our little princess.  Despite having a cold, Daphne was adorable, hamming it up for every person we showed her to.  This little girl loves a party!



Sadly, I didn't get a single picture with just Josie and Rick with Burke and I like I had wanted to, but the important thing is that they know we love them and are so supportive of this marriage.  Rick and Josie are the kind of couple you know without a doubt will do "big things" with their lives.  I look forward to watching their journey!

Comments

Niki said…
I love Josie! I am so happy her and Rick ended up together. She is such a sweetheart- i'm glad she found someone so great! and glad you could be in Logan for a few days! Fun for you!
Marinda said…
What a wonderful thing for you girls to share together! Josie looks so lovely and happy. And you look darling. Love the dress, the little belt is great!
Anonymous said…
Oh! Emily you forgot one person? You forgot that you saw me at Josie's wedding reception...