Disturbed

On Sunday night we had been celebrating Catherine's birthday at the Rowley house and then went next door to visit with the Ridings and cuddle baby Amelia.  While Cassie and I visited upstairs and played with the kids, Burke suddenly came up with a shocked look on his face and said, "You may want to come see this - the President is about to announce the death of Osama Bin Ladin."  We watched the announcement with Cassie and Dan once the kids were in bed and I felt a sort of peace as I thought about the way he personally would be unable to hurt any more lives, but I also worried about the retaliations that might be the consequence of his death.  That night Burke and I prayed for our country to be able to put to rest this decade of unrest, for our nation's leaders to be morale and upright in their decisions, and for peace throughout the world.

However, yesterday I found myself incredibly disturbed by the jovial responses on facebook and in the news dealing with the death of Osama Bin Laden.  I couldn't quite pinpoint my feelings or articulate the disgust I felt with all of the gloating and joking until my big brother Gabe sent an email with this news article.  Please take a few minutes to read this as it was able to describe my feelings far better than I could.  

"We are called to forgiveness. And that is the only way that we can be truly free. Holding onto our hatred keeps us in slavery to bin Laden's madness and gives the terrorists continued power over us."

Comments

Jeff and I have talked a lot about this the past few days. I have been really taken back with many comments I have seen on Facebook and I agree that someone's death should not be celebrated. Everytime I see pics of him I can't help but think that he has loved ones too.. I dunno quite what to think about all of it either but appreciate you posting about it to try and sort through some of those feelings. Good article too.