Neighbors

I've been feeling really good again the last several days, although poor Burke was sick throwing up yesterday and had to stay home from work.  We sat around being lazy, reading and watching movies all day.  I love it when he's home!  


Speaking of being home, I don't know if we were just so busy the last year that we were never home to hear them or if they've taken this up recently, but every morning at about 7:30, I listen to our Polynesian neighbors chanting and singing at the top of their lungs.  I'm usually already up, so it doesn't bother me, but you would think people would realize they share a wall and belting out hymns at the top of your lungs in Samoan will be heard by your neighbors.  The worst was last week in the middle of the day when I suddenly heard wailing come from the neighbors.  Do you know how in Africa and other tribal countries they have professional wailers or people who are hired to mourn dramatically at funerals?  Well, that is the only way I can describe the sounds that were coming from their apartment.  It was seriously unnerving and I wondered if I should go over to see if they were ok, but it would die down for a second and then resume again with incredible intensity.  No lie, it went on for 45 minutes and I had to call Cassie to calm me down, it was freaking me out so bad!  Weird.


So anyway, speaking of neighbors, my mother sent me this poem several months ago and I thought it was sweet then, but now I feel like I really relate.  Thanks for these sweet words Mama.  I so look forward to spending time with you when this baby gets here!


Carol Lynn Pearson in her book, "The Growing Season"

           The Ninth Month


Being a duplex, 
I have been happy, my dear,
To loan you half the house,
Rent-free and furnished
As best I could.

You have been a good 
Tenant, all in all,
Quiet, yet comfortably there,
Tapping friendly on the wall.

But I hear
You have outgrown the place
And are packing up to move.
Well, I will miss
The sweet proximity.
But we will keep in touch.
There are bonds, my dear,
That reach beyond a block,
Or a mile, or a hemisphere,
Born of much love and labor.

I approve the move,
And gladly turn from landlady
To neighbor.

Comments

Chelsea said…
Love that poem! That is so great.