Intrinsic Rewards

During the start of my student teaching I wrote an email to DeAnna Stallings, my former AP English teacher from high school who inspired me to pursue an education in teaching myself.  I requested some files from her on The Scarlet Letter and used some of her ideas while teaching the unit.  Last week I wrote her an email, telling her of the great success I had from her suggestions and how much I enjoyed the whole student teaching experience.  I told her of the neat, warm fuzzies moment I had when I overheard one of my students saying about their mock trial assignment, "Wow, this is really helping me understand the book better!"  Her response surprised me as she recounted a moment I had completely forgotten.  She said:

"I'm glad you were able to have one of those rare teacher moments when you feel like you might be making a difference in someone's life. You probably don't remember, but you gave me that first teacher moment in AP. We were discussing something in All the King's Men. The bell rang, and as you were all filing out of the room, I heard you say, "I will never look at the world the same way again." I got chills, and I have never forgot that moment. Thank you for being so open to new ideas and new ways of looking at the world."

How could I have guessed as a seventeen year old, that as a first time AP English teacher, Stallings was probably feeling nervous about teaching, unsure of her abilities just as I was on my first day of teaching?  How could I know that she could use some encouragement?  All I knew is that I loved her class and her from the very moment I walked in the door and she made a difference in my life, but I never told her until this email.  This tender exchange reminded me of the importance of telling people of the difference they have made in our lives - you may be surprised at the difference you have made in theirs.

Comments

Whitney said…
I love Mrs. Stallings! That was one of the best classes I have ever taken. It rocked!

I bet you are a phenomenal teacher.I would have loved to have snuck into some of your classes!