An Adams Family Christmas




My mother-in-law has made all of these darling mini stockings with the name of each person (24 of us now!) in the family on them.  I was excited to see Daphne had her very own when we arrived.

Christmas in Parowan was wonderful and probably one of my favorite visits with the Adams family yet!  I think one of the reasons it was so successful is because Catherine was brilliant and initiated a meal/clean-up schedule a couple of weeks before we all got together.  This made it so nice because when it was your turn for a meal, you cleaned up afterwards too, so no one had to wonder whose turn it was or if they should get off their carcass and help do dishes!  We also planned a few small activities and outings that helped everyone get out of the house and do something beyond eating, visiting and playing games (all things that I enjoy, but I definitely go stir crazy if that's all that goes on the whole visit).  On top of that, I also realized that I am a better Mom and feel more at liberty to lounge if I exercise in the morning. I went on two freezing runs and even convinced the Adams ladies to join me on the second one.  I always prefer to run with people and it was fun to get out together and attempt to counter all of the yummy sweets we had been eating.


The Suitcoats jam in the front room.

 On our first night I did a few Minute To Win It games with holiday themed challenges.  I got all of the ideas off of Pinterest, but I thought they were so cute.  Cath was the official photographer and pictures will be posted as soon as she can find her camera. :)


On Saturday (Christmas Eve) Burke, Daphne and I joined Mike and Alan down at the farm to check out their new tractor.  It's a slick machine with heated seats and all sorts of fancy gadgets.  I'm so grateful to have my patient husband and father-in-law who have helped me to learn so much about farming.  When Burke and I first talked on the phone and he said he had grown up on a farm, I imagined the Adams family living in a run-down 4-generation farmhouse right next to a shimmering wheat field, a big red barn to the side and the cattle corral just beyond that.  I imagined muddy coveralls and pitchforks, mucking stalls and riding horses.  Much to my surprise, the house is in town and the  farm is a couple of miles outside of it, while the "barn" is actually a big 'ol quonset hut with huge, expensive and sophisticated equipment that made me realize farming is getting more technologically involved and innovative with every passing year.  Alan and Mike don't just till the ground and plant seeds, they have to know the chemistry of the soil, the engineering of their equipment, the biology of the animals, the patterns of the weather, and a plethora of other information you can't learn from books.  These are smart men and it is so exciting to see their success pouring in from all their hard work.  Burke gets a joy out of the farm that I have rarely seen him get from anything else.  I wouldn't be surprised if several years down the road our path leads us back here.  BUT, I digress!  This is supposed to be a Christmas recap!  Excuse my farm tangent.  


Daphne was bundled like the abominable snowman and had fun practicing her superman trick with Daddy on the farm as well as latter that night with cousin Jade at the Urie Christmas Eve Dinner (Marie's side of the family).


The meal was lovely, Grandpa Urie's voice was strong during the nativity reading, the talent show was impressive and the Christmas gifts from Santa were memorable.  Daphne's Santa's helper outfit was a big hit too (thanks for letting us use it April!).  I feel like I am finally remembering most of the cousins' names and know them well enough to have a good conversation with them.  I also loved getting Daphne, Jade and Hallie to pose for a picture as these three babies are all within a year of each other (check out Daph's deer-in-the-headlights look!).


Christmas day was lovely with church in the morning where Brett gave a fantastic talk on the birth of Christ and the great mission of His life.  Pa Adams read the account from Luke 2 when we got home and before we all opened gifts.  Daphne didn't really know what was going on, but she sure likes the giant giraffe pillow pet we got her as well as her new blocks and board books.


But by far the BEST gift of the day was given by Kevin and Danelle announcing that they are officially pregnant with the FIRST grandson!!!  The front of their card said, "Did you know they have new equipment at the hospital that can predict what your child will look like?"  The picture on the inside is actually of Alan as a baby!  Emotions ran high as everyone cheered for grand baby #11 who will finally get to carry on the Adams name.  Now with LeeAnn and Kellie pregnant too, let's hope they are both carrying boys too so the numbers can start to even out.


The rest of the trip was spent playing all the fun games we got for Christmas, visiting with the extended family, eating delicious food, playing Rock Band, a trip to the dairy farm out in Paragonah, and watching Kevin start marshmallow gun fights with anyone who walked by.  It was a great visit, but the fun will continue when we head up this weekend for New Years to see Kelly and Wes!  Hooray for the holidays!


Comments