Daph Stats: Month 6



My Dear Daphne Marie,

I'm sure I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but how on earth is it possible that you are six months old already?!  Baby girl, you are getting more interactive and delightful with every passing day.  I was so thrilled to take family pictures a few weeks ago to try and capture you at this wonderful stage.  Just look how bright your eyes shine when you smile, causing your entire face to radiate.  I have had numerous people gawk at your smile and delight in the way your soul seems to shine right through those beaming eyes.


At your appointment yesterday you weighed 14 lbs, 11 oz. and measured at 26 inches.  That puts you at 25% for weight, 55% for height and your head remains "prominent" at 88% of baby girls your age.  I wonder if that percentage is taken from all the babies in the United States or in the world?  I will find out by your next checkup.  As demonstrated above, you are quite adept at sitting up on your own, although your unpredictable lunges for things just out of your reach often cause you to topple over so suddenly that I don't dare to take a hand off you unless there is something propped around you to soften the fall.


You still refuse to roll from your back to your tummy and rarely do tummy to back anymore.  Daddy says not to worry, but I secretly work on it with you while he's at work, trying to help you strengthen your core with tummy time until you yelp at me and insist to be flipped back over.  I promise, I'm only trying to help.


One of my favorite things that you have started doing in recent months is slapping your right hand on your leg whenever you don't have something clutched in your hands.  Often times when Daddy is playing music on his guitar and you are propped up on the couch watching his every movement, you will begin the hand patting and coincidentally (or not?) you often land your slaps to your thigh in perfect time with the beat.  It's hilarious and so adorable to watch.


When not slapping or grasping at things out of reach, your hands are constantly in your mouth.  You love to gum everything, no matter how big (the dining room table) or what texture.  Dr. Walker confirmed at your appointment that there are some teeth buds headed our way, which may be part of the reason you love to sooth your gums with chewing.  We have introduced vegetables mixed with your oatmeal and you are doing excellent at eating solids twice a day.


You are at last taking fairly consistent and good naps.  Most nights you sleep at least 9 hours, but twice last week you slept for 11 hours straight.  It was amazing!  Instead of waking up and yelling out for us, most mornings I now can tell you're awake when I hear a combination of sing-song babbling and cooing or the hilarious lip-buzzing you've been doing.  It's the cutest thing to secretly watch you from the doorway as you play with your blankets, buzz your lips and look around the nursery, patiently waiting for someone to come get you.  It's extremely gratifying when Daddy or I poke our heads over your crib and are greeted with one of your heart-melting smiles.


You still love to be outside and the days that you get fussy when you are being a nap rebel, just going for a stroll will instantly calm you down as you take in your surroundings and breathe deeply of the fresh air.  You also love to bounce for short periods of time in the awesome bouncers your Bush Aunties have lent to us.  It's nearly impossible to get a good picture of you in them as you are constantly moving.  A few weeks ago you could only touch with one toe at a time, so Daddy would call you his little Irish Girl as you would bounce from one toe to the other, appearing to lithely dance like an Irish shoe stepper!  


You are starting to "play" with us by occasionally mimicking the games we are playing with you.  The first time we really noticed it was up in Logan at Thanksgiving when Daddy had you propped on his tummy and would lean his head forward and do a soft "rar" in your face.  You would giggle and if he waited for a couple seconds after putting his head back down you would bend forward towards his face and make a little guttural sound in reply.  Then, just this morning, I had you propped on my legs as we sung nursery rhymes and I named parts of the body for you ("one nose, two eyes").  When I got to "tongue" and stuck my tongue out at you, you copied me and stuck your tongue out slowly between your lips with a sly smile on your face.  It was darling!


As we noticed early on, you are still very social and love to be around people.  This presents a bit of a nightmare at church as you.do.not.sleep. during the 3 hours of meetings, no matter how exhausted you are.  This means that if you wake up an hour before church starts, you sometimes go 4-5 hours without a nap.  Too much to see and hear!  Too many admirers.  Truth be told, this makes church very long for your mama, but even on the hard days I don't go home early because I want you to learn from the very start the importance of sacrificing our time, energy and talents to serve God and learn about his plan for us, as well as the life and ministry of his son Jesus Christ.  I am looking forward to teaching you all about Christ and the hope he has given to all of us.  


You are such a blessing in our life Daphne and we talk often about how much "fuller" our lives are with you in it.  Daddy contributed to this letter by saying you are officially his, "gut-totting, cheek-sagging, smiley, squeezable little angel."  I think he'll keep you. :)  You are our joy little miss.  Here's to a wonderful six months of life!  Grow on little one.

Love you forever and always,

Your Mama

Comments

Erica said…
No! Do not worry that she isn't rolling. Huds has NO desire to and he's 8 months old, reading this made me feel not so bad. My nephew who is just days younger than him is crawling already so please do not stress. He has rolled both ways but that's about it. He' just rather "walk". Grrrreat. But it's so fun to read these posts cause it takes me back to when Hudson was 6 months old.
The Burr's said…
Oh my goodness she is getting so cute!! We need to have a play date sometime soon! BTW I love your pictures:)
Anonymous said…
Those pictures really are adorable. I love her little hat and those cheeks and so stinkin cute!