Updates

I'm overdue for updates on several things I blogged about in the past, but haven't had a chance to follow up on yet.  So here are the updates interspersed with some holiday photos I was trying to take of Daphne until she shattered two ornaments by smacking them together!

1) The Healthy Challenge:
I was super excited to jump from my Healthy Living Challenge with Cassie into the "Eight Weeks to a Better You" with Shannon.  I got several people on board - even Burke! - and was going strong until Thanksgiving and I am here to confess that I totally burned out.  I stopped keeping track of my points and gave in to pumpkin pie, cinnamon roles and chocolate.  Truthfully, I haven't picked back up the hard core challenge that I was doing BUT I am pleased to report that Burke and I are now exercising regularly together.  We are going to be running the Top of Utah Half Marathon in August together and are having a great time on our family runs 2-3 times a week.  I also never eat after 8 o'clock anymore, don't crave sweets as much and make sure to get plenty of water, fruits and veggies each day.  I am happy with these positive changes and can definitely feel the difference in my life.


2) Resolutions:
I will save most of my New Years Resolutions recap for a post in a couple weeks, but I was so excited about one of my goals that I had to share.  One of my goals this year was to be back to my pre-pregnancy weight by Christmas.  Well, when we were at my parent's house for Thanksgiving, I jumped on their scale and was shocked to discover that I had already reached my goal, plus I lost an extra 5 pounds!  I weigh nearly the same as I did in high school and I still feel like there is room to improve and continue to tone up my body.  I give all the credit to the above health challenges that I mentioned and am here to testify that if you are having a hard time losing weight then seriously re-evaluate what you are EATING.  Exercise alone did not cut it for me as I was still eating like I was playing soccer every day when in reality I haven't touched a soccer ball for over 4 years.  I weigh less now than I did when I ran my half marathon last year!  I'm definitely not as strong yet, but I am so pleased with how much better my body is looking.


3) Recipes:
Thank you to everyone who sent me recipes to help me become a better cook.  Burke and I have tried several new dishes and I suspect he is getting me the "Our Best Bites Cookbook" that so many of you recommended.  I am getting so excited about becoming more comfortable in the kitchen!



4) Balancing Family Time:
I also wanted to thank you all for your comments about my struggles with balancing time between my in-laws and my own family.  I have been prayerfully trying to have a more positive attitude and think of any visit with family members on either side as a point for both of us, rather than keeping score against one another.  We truly are so lucky to love both sides of our family and I have been feeling so blessed to want to spend time with these our families, rather than dreading get-togethers.  I also have decided that it is okay for us to say no to the non-essential get-togethers so that Burke, Daphne and I can work on forming our own traditions as well.  Thanks again for the suggestions!


I know there were other things I wanted to write about, but I really should get dressed for the day before Burke gets home for lunch and sees me sitting here in my sweats.  Ha ha!  I hope you are all having a lovely holiday season.  I can't get enough of the beautiful lights, our pretty Christmas tree, hot chocolate at night and reading Christmas stories under the tree.  It is definitely the most wonderful time of the year!

P.S. Daphne slept TWELVE straight hours last night.  It was incredible.

Comments

Whitney said…
Em--"Our Best Bites" is phenomenal. I haven't found a recipe in that book that isn't delicious. Plus--many of their recipes are very quick! I had Orange Chicken with Rice on the table in 20 minutes. Victory! If he doesn't get it for you for Christmas, you should demand it for New Year's, or Valentine's, or whatever. It's completely worth it.
Alycia said…
Daphne is so darling. And your tree and decorations look beautiful! Your wreath turned out sooo good--I love it. Oh, and congrats on meeting your weight goal--that's awesome!!