From Sunbeams to Young Women

It's no secret that my calling (Mormon lingo for "assignment") in church has been kicking my heiney for the past 7 months.  Who knew that a couple of hours with 3-year-olds could run me so ragged every week?  Truth be told, it has truly been the hardest calling I have ever had.  I absolutely adore the kids in our class (there are twelve on the role folks - twelve! - but we usually have between 6-9 each week) and I delight in the hilarious things they say and their innocent lack of inhibitions, however, I have really struggled with so many busy little toddlers in my care all at once.  There is definitely a reason I wanted to teach high school aged kids and not elementary.  I confess, I cried in the car on the way home from church a few times and I just might have pouted melodramatically on one occasion, "They'll be the death of me Burke!"

About 6 weeks ago, I was called to be the Girls Camp Director on top of my Sunbeams calling and I was thrilled for a chance to be working with the girls in the ward plus all the awesome ladies in the YW presidency.  I felt like we were on a good schedule and although Camp Director is a much bigger job than I had originally anticipated, I felt confident that it would all come together nicely.  That is until last Tuesday night when the Bishopric stopped by our house.  They came to extend me a new calling as second counselor in the YW Presidency, which meant that Burke and I would be released from our assignment as the Sunbeams teachers (hallelujah!) and that the entire YW program would be redone.  This means that all of the progress we have made with Girls Camp preparation over the past several weeks has basically been tossed out the window - yikes!

I am so excited to be working with the young women every week now, but also a little anxious as camp is less than two months away.  Our new YW President, Jen Edvalson is so sharp and the other girls in the presidency, Jaylee Dodenbier and Sarah Holt, are terrific as well.  Plus my sweet friend, Shannon Hughes, will still be a counselor as well, which gives me quite a bit of comfort.  I am looking forward to working with all of them and to getting to know and love the girls.  I feel like in some ways this calling marks the beginning of a new chapter here in Mesquite and I hope it will help me feel more fully a part of the ward and neighborhood.

Meanwhile, I will happily hug my darling Sunbeams in the hall...and pass them off to their new teacher! :)

Comments