Roos-N-More

For Family Home Evening last night, we drove out with the Hughes family (Shannon and Shane) to Moapa Valley (about 20 minutes away) to go to the Roos-N-More Zoo.  We went with a group of other families as the place is only open once a month or by special appointment.  I was a bit skeptical as we pulled up to a dusty collection of buildings in the middle of desolate sandy hills and wondered how anything could live out here, let alone zoo animals!


Although it wasn't your typical zoo, I was pleasantly surprised by the wide variety of animals this little family farm has managed to collect.


Daphne was so enthralled by all the animals and wanted to touch everything in sight.


The lady showing us around was awesome.  She let any kid who wanted to handle loads of different animals and wouldn't move on to the next display until everyone had a turn.  Check out all the animals Daphne got to touch!


This kid is fearless, which is weird because I will freely admit that Burke and I can both be a bit wussy sometimes (I can just hear him when he reads that - "Hey!").  However, we got in on the action too and even got to play with a binturong (an Asian bear-cat that eats fruit) as a family when our guide let it out of its cage.  He must have thought our shampoo smelled fruity-delicious as he kept sniffing our heads!  Can you tell he made me a little nervous?


The baby lemur and baby monkey were so precious, although I was a little grossed out having this little guy in my hair (we did some serious detoxing as soon as we got home).  The lemur's hands and feet felt strange as it would clasp them on your arms so tight, but so soft at the same time.  It felt like he was trying to suction to your skin!


Although I was happy to hold most of the animals, I drew the line at this nasty one.  It makes my skin crawl just looking at this picture!  Burke was brave and tried it out after Hudson (3 years old) let it crawl all over him.  I love that second picture Shannon captured of Burke's face when the snake start to move along his neck!  Eck!

 
I think this will definitely be an annual thing as I'm sure Daphne will love to come back as she gets older and so will we!  Thanks Hughes family for inviting us!

Blowing softly on the baby monkey to make his tongue stick out

First family trip to the zoo

Comments

ellenbush said…
I am TOTALLY jealous! This looks like such fun! I want to touch all of these wacky animals. baby monkey, six weeks old! What a fun family trip.
Marinda said…
Don't you love zoo trips with kids? They make it so fun! I love how you made the polaroid collage, super cute!