Button Tree Fail!

Remember that one time when I discovered Pinterest and an entire world of creativity was opened up to me?  Remember how I got so inspired by all the DIY projects that made it look SO simple to be crafty?  Remember how I forgot that I don't have a crafty bone in my body?

Well, apparently I forgot that last little part because yesterday I attempted to drown out all the memories of failed projects screaming out that I should not attempt crafts.  Ever.

Need to see proof for yourself?  Ok then, here you are.  I saw the below on Pinterest, which I repinned and then as I went to give it photo credit just now I realized that it went to google images.  So, whoever made this, don't be mad that I didn't give you credit, because there was no legit link!


So, a button tree.  Cute, right?  This spindly tree is reminiscent of the vinyl tree I have on the wall in Daphne's nursery, so of course I love it.

So I decided to be brave and make one of my own, but mine would be darling on teal-blue canvas.  Except that I forgot that I haven't drawn or painted anything since 8th grade art class, over ten years ago.  And I also forgot that it's a good idea to not attack your canvas with paint free-hand.  Opps.


And the epic button tree fail goes to...me!  When I showed it to Burke he tried so hard to be nice about it, but even the hubs ended up laughing!  Ugh.  Remind me of these things when I try to be crafty in the future, ok?  Ok, thanks.

Comments

Niki said…
Are you serious?! I am very impressed! I honk your tree looks great. But I know how you feel- I don't even try to be crafty... It's just not my thing!
Whitney said…
Emily--I think this looks great! I bet you'd like it a little better if was flanked by two other canvases (modge podge scrapbook paper that coordinates with it) or even if you had it in a frame. You could always put it in a bathroom. Those poor rooms always could use a little art! :)
Murphy Mania said…
Emily Ann! You are not a quitter! If at first you don't succeed, I say TRY AGAIN!
I get my ideas AND patterns from the internet. The animals on Caleb's nursery wall? Blown up from pictures online. The airplanes on the boys room? Devon used his math skills and exact measurements of internet pics to create bi-planes that looked great. Just because you haven't PRACTICED doesn't mean you can't create! I'll be waiting to see your 2nd attempt.
oh also- my first tutu I made for a friend's daughter was. . .not so great. Ok it was awful, BUT I got more ideas tried again and Maia's turned out a little better. Looked around more, found even more ideas and if you look at Lydia and Daphne's Christmas gifts I DEFY you to find a cuter tutu. :)
Cathy Bush said…
What are you talkin' about! Your button tree is amazing! I love it and would love to see it hanging on your wall. You have talent inside that is crying to get out and get at it! Don't be so critical of your creations...the key is to not compare it to the one that is soooo good they put it on the internet! So when someone sees it on your wall and compliments you...do not pull up the picture of the perfect one and start tearing yours apart! Can't wait to see you, your lovely home adorned with your handy crafts and Daphne's Tutu made by Auntie April!
Love,
Mumsie