The Help

(Photo Credit Here)

Have you seen this movie?  Have you read the book?  Burke and I haven't been to a movie in the theaters since Daphne was born, so I'm a bit behind the current blockbuster hits and we didn't see it until Friday via Redbox.  I was thoroughly impressed with the entire production.  The acting was superb and the story completely inspirational.  It's a film that leaves you thinking days after you finish it - my favorite kind.  The crazy thing is that the racial drama this story portrays truly wasn't that long ago.  It made me reflect on what I read with my students this past spring when we studied "Black Boy" and talked about the Civil Rights Movement.  It made me cry all over again to think that anyone could ever treat another human being with such hatred.  I know racism happened and that it still happens, but it is something I will never understand.  Why would color of skin ever make someone think their life has more value than someone else?  I was taught that we are all children of God regardless of race, nationality, religious convictions, gender preferences, etc., and I have never been able to wrap my head around this kind of bigotry.  Thank goodness for courageous men and women who fought for change.  I would highly recommend the film (FYI: there is a bit of language, but no f-bombs) and plan on reading the book as my pleasure read next month.  

Comments

The Burr's said…
I saw previews, and wondered how it would be. We will have to watch it! It is very sad people are so Idiotic!
Whitney said…
Dan and I went and saw this in the theater and were really impressed with it. Have you heard anything about the film "The Artist"? I'm dying to see it. I'll probably have to wait until it comes to rent, because Logan never gets the neat, artsy movies. I also really want to see Hugo--it's a children's movie, so you should be safe as far as content.