Confessions of a Cuss-er

“Surely what a man does when he is taken off his guard is the best evidence for what sort of man he is.” 
― C.S. Lewis

I felt guilty when I read this quote today.  Guilty, because when I accidentally smack my head on the cupboard, or  when one of Daphne's cousins unintentionally topples on top of her little head, or I see my husband getting bucked on a horse and my heart clenches in my chest with fear, words come tumbling out of my mouth faster than I can think them.  Dirty word.  Yes, singular, for it's usually just one.  That cursed "s-word".  I don't know when the s-word and I became buddies.  I remember plainly gasping at swear words in elementary and middle school, and rolling my eyes at them in high school.  Swear words were for people who couldn't think of anything more intelligent to say to describe their frustration.  So, now here I am, an unintelligent 24-years-old as the first word that comes flying off my tongue when I am taken off my guard  is a "potty word" and I'm not sure how that transformation happened.

I'm trying to improve.  Especially since Daphne has been born, I have been horrified to think of her ever hearing such language from my lips.  I have thought a lot these past months about this quote by Margaret D. Nadauld (former YW General President) that I'm sure many of you have heard, but I wanted to share.


The world has enough women who are tough;
we need women who are tender.
There are enough women who are coarse;
we need women who are kind.
There are enough women who are rude;
we need women who are refined.
We have enough women of fame and fortune;
we need more women of faith.
We have enough greed;
we need more goodness.
We have enough vanity;
we need more virtue.
We have enough popularity;
we need more purity.

I want so badly to incorporate into my life all of the virtues she extols, to be tender, kind, refined, faithful, good, virtuous and pure, not only to be an example for my daughter, but to invite the spirit to be with me more regularly.  It's a work in progress, but it's decided - the cussing has got to go!

Comments

Lyndi said…
If it makes you feel any better I can't imagine you saying it! EVER!...at this point to I admit to having fears of it being my dying word-yikes-...sometimes!!! Working on it though :)