When A Thing Is Wick

One thing I am really looking forward to someday is having a beautiful garden.  My mother is a master gardener and my father keeps a pristine lawn.  However, our current 6 inches by 15 feet slab of dirt outside is not very conducive to plant nurturing.  So I was very excited when Mom gave us a beautiful potted plant for Christmas.  It had the bulbs and dirt all ready to go in a pot, all you had to do was add water, fluff the dirt, and place the bulbs in.  I did so and left the bulbs in a sunny window, excited to watch it grow over the weeks.  After several days, Burke went to the windowsill and started laughing hysterically.  I couldn't understand why he rushed over to grab the camera to snap a picture of our plant.  The bulbs and dirt hadn't sprouted anything yet.  Can you see why he found it so humorous?

  
Yep, I planted them upside down.  Classic Emily.


In "The Secret Garden" Dickens sings a song about how you can tell if a plant is alive or dead.  He says, if a thing is "wick" it has a life about it, meaning that if you peel back the first layer of a brown looking plant and green is showing underneath, then the plant still has a chance to live.  After turning the plants right-side-up and leaving them in the window for another week, I tested this theory.  My plants were black inside and out - completely wick-less.  Sorry Mom.  Apparently I don't have your green thumb after all.  :(


In other news, Burke is the master at this puzzle game you gave us and I hung up the beautiful frame on the wall.  Not all of your gifts were destroyed! :)

Comments

Liv Blair said…
That is one of the funniest things I have ever read. Thanks for the laugh Em!!!
Whitney said…
Well turds! What were they supposed to grow into? And WHAT IS YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS?!
Unknown said…
i love that you just referenced the secret garden. haha loved it!
Katie said…
Cute haircut! And...I am horrible at keeping plants alive, I feel ya!